Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Bands and stuff

Tuesday night's Annex event solidified People In Planes in my mind as a good band (3/4 up thumb). With their performance, Army Of Me solidified my perception of them as not being bad. I actually thought their set was quite good (halfway up thumb). No comment on the first band (thumb down). So overall, good night.

Speaking of Army of Me, has anyone heard Army Of Anyone with the DeLeo brothers from Stone Temple Pilots and the singer from Filter? Someone should probably host some type of fight/competition/olympics/academic decathalon to see who could own the rights to "Army Of...." Who would win? You decide. Vote (i.e. via a comment or telling us. Extra points for coming up with a clever form of competition.)














...Me
vs.
...Anyone














I was surprised when I saw People In Planes tuning up acoustic guitars after hearing their album but they pulled it off. It was a lot more bluesy than I expected and it had a sort of Nirvanna Unplugged vibe. A new intern, Rachel, joined the group for the show and really liked the guy's voice. She took pictures and if she remembers to send them to me I will post them.

Supposedly MTV was filming them all night at the Bowery (didn't get to go because apparently real press has more influence than interns) and the Annex (although I didn't see the camera people during PIP's set. Although I don't want to guarantee it, I think they should be big. Make sure to check out their awesome music video directed by Juaquin Phoenix on their website.
Speaking of which: buy this album:











I know this may sound creepy that I care but I did get to meet Karen (plus one). I had asked Nora to introduce us because at my first real party with DJ's who have really good taste last summer at the Engineers/Bloc Party afterparty at Hiro, I enjoyed the Tarts of Pleasure. I then worked for these managers who were talking about the Tarts of Pleasure DJing some other party and so I found out who those two DJ's were. So, there you have it.

Some pictures from Annex (Nora's pictures as usual):
Vaness'as back (I think) and Intern David:














Intern Dan and Abby (is it just me or does it look like she has a hairy shoulder? Nice shirt Abby. This is what you get for hiding/stealing my umbrella.)














Right after I posted about getting into the Nightmare of You album, I saw their video on Fuse on Steven's Untitled Rock Show. (Yes, I was watching Steven's Untitled Rock Show but it was mostly because Head Automatica were the guests.)

That's it.
-Intern Dan

1 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Blogger n. said...

you're such a fan boy. i'm sending karen a link to this

 

Post a Comment

<< Home